Primary Music Education
If no "BOOK NOW" button appears there are currently no scheduled courses.
Annual Music Conference
HACKNEY MUSIC EDUCATION CONFERENCE
Embedding Inclusive Practice
Hackney Music Service will be holding its annual music education conference on Friday 13 September 2019 at the Tomlinson Centre. This exciting day-long event will focus on Embedding Inclusive Practice in music education. The day will include keynote speakers, practical music-making and workshops, presentations from project partners and Hackney head teachers and music leads, panel discussions and networking opportunities.
Speakers and contributors include:
- Dr Phil Mullen: Key Note Speaker - in this session Phil will discuss what inclusion is, how important it is for developing a non-discriminatory society, and will provide a number of practical insights for making your work more inclusive. He will focus on key ideas in inclusive education, who children in challenging circumstances are and how we can help them be more included, having an emotionally intelligent approach and the importance of reflecting on our practice. He will also look at a number of practical strategies to make the school classroom or music workshop a more inclusive place. Phil will also deliver a Creative Music Making Workshop during the day.
- Sarah Bailey: Hackney Head Teacher at Queensbridge Primary School and OFSTED Inspector - What ‘inclusion’ means in a diverse school community; Wellbeing; Why music is so important and why (despite budget cuts) Queensbridge have ring-fenced and fundraised to keep music a priority; Implications for Music and the Arts under the New OFSTED framework.
- Mark Malcom & Liz Jones: School Principal and Head of Music at The City Academy, Hackney - Excellent Practice in the Secondary Sector: ensuring that all pupils receive and access a broad and balanced curriculum offer in music and beyond; the positive impact of music and the arts on the whole school.
- Professor Graham Welch (UCL Institute of Education) & Ann Wright Education Director (VCM Foundation) - Year 1 Vocal Research Project.
- HMDT Music - Music Treehouse SEND Project
- A New Direction: Artsmark - information about the Artsmark process, how Artsmark can positively impact your school and can be used as a tool to support school improvement
- Bad Laydee: Words NOT Weapons - Bad Lay-Dee’s ‘Words NOT Weapons’ music and poetry workshops have been designed to inspire children and young people, particularly from disadvantaged backgrounds to develop confidence, self-esteem and communication skills through creative writing and performance. Since launching the workshops in October 2018, she has taught nearly 2,500 children with 100% positive feedback. Through practical exercises and discussions, this one-hour session will explore some of the techniques used in Bad Lay-Dee’s Music Workshops and how we can work together as music practitioners to develop new approaches that help make a difference to young people’s lives.
- Kate Shortt: BSL Sign Language Vocal Workshop
- Vahan Salorian: Whole Class Ukulele Workshop
- Dorico Software: Music Technology Workshop
The conference is targeted at head teachers, subject leaders of music and the arts in both primary and secondary settings, all general class teachers involved in delivering the music curriculum, teachers from SEND settings, school governors, instrumental tutors and network partners. Essentially, anyone who has an interest in music education and education in Hackney. Please note priority places will be given to Hackney delegates.
The conference is free of charge to attend, but you must register!
For further information please contact Xanthe Sarr at Hackney Music Service on 0203 076 1535, or by email at email@example.com
- Target audience:
Primary Subject Leader Forum: Music
Meet with Music Subject Leaders to keep up to date with current developments in the teaching and learning of primary music.
- To create a network of expertise
- To share new developments and enrichment opportunities
- To share best practice and have a professional dialogue.
Free to Hackney primary schools.
- Target audience:
- Included in package: